Did you know that there are more than 356,000 kilometers of coastline in the world? Going to the beach is like hitting a personal reset button for the soul. Whether it’s the sand beneath your feet or the wind on your face, there’s something about taking a beach vacation that seems to help you forget about the stresses of everyday life and allows you to kick back, relax, and breathe.
With so many great options, there isn’t just one we can crown “the best,” so here are 15 beaches around the world that you should consider crossing off your bucket list of places to see.
1. Crane Beach, Barbados – Named after a large crane sitting on top of a cliff over the shore, Crane Beach is one of Barbados’ most beautiful beaches. It’s a fantastic location for the adventurous beachgoer, featuring white sands, big waves, and boogie boarding.
2. Natadola Beach, Fiji – Beachgoers looking for a photogenic coastline with white sands and blue water should head to Natadola Beach. It’s also a beautiful place for the experienced swimmer to snorkel or surf. Enjoy beautiful views, but keep an eye on your valuables, as there have been reports of theft in the area.
3. Zlatni Rat, Croatia – Located on the southern coast of the island of Brac, Zlatni Rat is a narrow white pebble beach that shifts with the changes in tide, currents, and wind. The beach veers more than 634 meters into the Adriatic Sea and is bordered by a pine tree forest where you can witness remnants of a Roman villa rustica.
4. Agonda Beach, India – Looking for a way to disconnect from your wired lifestyle? Head to Agonda Beach, where you can take long walks on tourist-free shores with little to no mobile phone service. It’s a quiet place that’s excellent for sunbathing, relaxing, and swimming – perfect for beachgoers looking to get away from it all.
5. Boulders Beach, South Africa – Located near Cape Town and forming part of Table Mountain National Park, Boulders Beach is made up of inlets between massive granite boulders. Thanks to protection from the rocks, the beach offers relatively calm and beautiful swimming conditions for tourists. It’s also home to a large colony of African penguins that tourists can observe from close range in their natural habitat.
6. Venice Beach, California – Known as a hangout for the creative and artistic since the Beat movement of the 1950s, Venice Beach is home to a wide variety of Hollywood celebrities and a hotbed of Los Angeles culture. It’s also a hangout for those looking to stay in shape, and features multiple basketball courts, beach volleyball, and the famous Muscle Beach.
7. Viña del Mar, Chile – A major attraction for national and international tourists, Viña del Mar offers beautiful views of the Pacific coast. Swimmers may find the water chilly, but throw on a wetsuit and the waves are great for surfing. The beach is only an hour and a half west of Santiago, so it’s a prime location for a day trip from the capital of Chile.
8. Bondi Beach, Sydney – Similar to Venice Beach, you’re sure to soak up the local arts, culture, and nightlife at Bondi Beach near Sydney, Australia. Feed your wild side and enjoy various festivals throughout the year, including the Miss Bondi beauty pageant, Vans Bowl-A-Rama skateboarding competition, and Flickerfest, Australia’s premier international short film festival.
9. Freedom Beach, Thailand – Located in Phuket, Freedom Beach is a short long-tail boat ride out to the southern tip of Patong Beach. Surrounded by beautiful rock formations and covered in white sands, Freedom Beach will help you quickly forget about your everyday troubles. The surrounding waters are also a great place to witness some of the best views of marine life and coral reefs in Phuket.
10. Na’ama Bay, Egypt – Travelers looking to enjoy beautiful views of the Red Sea flock to Na’ama Bay in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt. The area is famous for snorkeling and diving, and you can enjoy underwater excursions via the shoreline or local boat trips. It’s also a hotbed for Egyptian nightlife, with clubs such as the Hard Rock Café Sharm el-Sheikh that stay open well into the morning.
11. Eagle Beach, Aruba – Eagle Beach is a typical Caribbean beach, which is exactly why it made the list. Offering near-perfect swimming conditions with turquoise waters and white sand shores, it’s a great location for tourists who want to relax and soak up the sun.
12. Panama City Beach, Florida – The slogan of Panama City Beach is “The World’s Most Popular Beaches,” due to multiple stretches of bright white sands along Florida’s Emerald Coast of the Gulf of Mexico. It’s a popular vacation for all ages and even known as “The Spring Break Capital of the World” due to the arrival of more than 100,000 students through March and April. That being said, plan your arrival according to the type of crowd you want to see.
13. Biarritz, France – Located on the Bay of Biscay along the Atlantic coast of southwest France, Biarritz is a luxurious seaside town that serves as a popular tourist and surfer destination. Guests who want to take a day of vacation off the beach can enjoy attractions such as the Museum of the Sea and the Museum of Chocolate.
14. San Bartolo, Peru – Travelers looking for a quiet beach vacation or day trip from Lima should consider heading to San Bartolo in the off-season, although many of the area businesses are closed during the winter. The area changes drastically in the summer, as many beachgoers move to the area on a seasonal basis.
15. Culebra Beach, Puerto Rico – Take a short ferry ride from San Juan to enjoy the beautiful beaches of Culebra Island. There you can enjoy white sands, take in picturesque blue waters, and walk in the paths of the pirates that used to hide treasures on the island. The beaches are isolated and part of the Culebra National Wildlife Refuge, so you’re sure to witness a variety of wildlife with each visit.
While the full list of all the beautiful beach destinations in the world is a lot longer than this, these locations will point you in the direction of guaranteed sun, sand, and swimming. When you’re ready for a place to rest at the end of the day, we have multiple hotels within two hours of each beach for you to consider on your travels.
Which of these beaches stands out the most to you? Have you checked any of these off your travel bucket list? Let us know in the comments below.