The kids may be all grown up, but that doesn’t mean you have to nix the classic family vacation. Trade in the mouse ears and arm floaties for sunglasses and umbrella drinks, and head to one of these amazing adult travel destinations.
All adults need a little R&R, and there is nothing more soothing than the gentle, blue waves and soft, white sands of Aruba. After a few days of enjoying the sun and some poolside beverages, you can take the crew for a hike at Mt. Haystack, where you can see across to the coast of Venezuela on a clear day.
- Best family activity: Local submarine tours. A day with Atlantis Submarines will make you all feel like a kid again.
- Fun Fact: Aruba has a dry climate year-round, so visitors can reliably expect warm, sunny weather.
2. Chennai, India
Share new experiences as a family when you visit culturally rich city of Chennai. Temples, museums and historical centers provide a meaningful and educational vacation. Rest your tired tourist feet at our Chennai hotel pools and spas for truly well-rounded experience.
- Best family activity: Don’t leave Chennai without touring St. George’s Cathedral, Kapaleeswarar Temple, and Parthasarathy Temple. This trifecta of attractions is bound to be a bonding experience for the family.
- Fun Fact: Cricket is the most popular sport in Chennai and was started as a result of the foundation of the Madras Cricket Club in 1846.
3. New Orleans, Louisiana
Festivals, music, art, and architecture will dominate your family itinerary in the Big Easy. The unique and delicious cuisine should be enjoyed as a family al fresco each and every day. Be sure to try a po’boy, but don’t make the mistake of calling it a sub sandwich.
- Best family activity: You’ll have an array of fascinating tours to choose from in the French Quarter. We suggest a historical New Orleans tour or a Crescent City literary tour.
- Fun Fact: Louisiana is one of two states in the U.S. that does not have counties. Instead, they use the term, “parishes.” New Orleans resides in Orleans Parish.
4. Cape Town, South Africa
Your family will want to make Cape Town your new home, sweet home. Stunning views of Table Mountain and Robben Island can become an addictive sight. Couple that with family-friendly activities, like golf or the aerial cableway, and you have the perfect group getaway.
- Best family activity: Drive just outside of Cape Town to tour the Cape vineyards, where the cultivation of grapes dates back to the 1600s. The Constantia Valley Wine Route is home to some of the oldest wine estates in South Africa and is as educational as it is tasty.
- Fun Fact: The city’s motto is “Spes Bona,” which is Latin for “good hope.” Sounds like a good motto for a family trip.
Family vacations can be just as fun when the kids are grown up, and are often more appreciated by the whole family. Which of these destinations catches your eye?